Housing Rehab Program

he City of Niagara Falls, and its housing renovation partners, can help add value to your home through a United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funded renovation.

How Does The Program Work?

The Niagara Falls Home Owner Renovation Program offers a deferred loan that is designed to help residents both remain and build equity in their homes.  This program will finance 100% of the renovations up to $35,000 with no monthly payments as a deferred loan.  If the home owner occupies the home as his/her principal residence for five years, 100% of the loan amount is forgiven. If the home is sold prior to the forgiveness dates, the owner must repay an applicable portion of the deferred loan.

Home renovation projects eligible for this loan include:

  • Eliminate health and safety concerns

  • Correct code violations

  • Increase household energy efficiency

  • Remediate environmental issues

Program staff is involved in every step of the process, working with the home owner on the renovation plan, reviewing contractor bids and overseeing the actual construction.

Who Is Eligible To Apply?

Eligible applicants must:

  • Live within the City of Niagara Falls
  • Be able to provide proof of ownership of the home
  • Occupy the home as his/her principal residence
  • Be current on all property taxes and clear of any negative judgments
  • Be able to show proof that household assets do not exceed $75,000
  • Be able to show proof that household gross annual income does not exceed the following guidelines:


Number of Persons In Household

Income Limits

1 Person


2 Person


3 Person


4 Person


5 Person


6 Person


7 Person


8 Person



Effective 4/1/24

(Income limits are usually adjusted annually)

Income is only tested at time of deferred loan approval, not throughout the 15 year time period.

How Do I Apply?

Our team is here to walk you through the process.  Step one is a consultation to discuss eligibility, the application process, and your renovation goals for the home.  Please contact Paul Martell at to set up your first consultation.