745 Main Street, P.O. Box 69, Room 306
Niagara Falls, NY 14302
Telephone: (716) 286-4450
Fax Number: (716) 286-4454
Hours: Monday – Friday
7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Including Noon Hour
We are issuing permits through email or over the phone at this time. Work must comply with all NYS COVID-19 guidelines. Please check the NY State website if you have any COVID-19 related questions.
During this Pandemic the City is asking that all permitting, licensing, property registration and general questions be done over the phone and through email. If you must visit City Hall you as asked to call and make an appointment with this department as only the first floor of City Hall is open.
PLEASE NOTE: We now accept credit and debit card payments (with a fee).
At this time we ARE accepting credit card payment over the phone for all permits and licensing with an additional convenience fee.
Code Enforcement Staff
|Name & Email||Title||Telephone|
|Corey Baskerville||Director of Code Enforcement||286-4492|
|Patrick Ciccarelli||Code Enforcement/Sign & Zoning Officer||286-4387|
|Michael Lopez||Chief Plumbing Inspector||286-4452|
|Chief Electrical Inspector||286-4458|
|Joseph Chick||Code Enforcement Officer||286-4459|
|Joseph Gervasi||Code Enforcement Officer||286-4324|
|Robert Stanley||Code Enforcement Officer||286-4364|
|Julie Kunecki||Administrative Assistant||286-4450|
|Robert Zaleski||Code Enforcement Officer||286-8834|
|Nikeshia Coates||Account Clerk / Property Owner Registration Clerk||286-4464|
As a Code Enforcement Department, our primary objective and duty is to protect the public safety through the enforcement of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code together with all local codes and ordinances.
It is our duty and responsibility to assist the residents of the municipality in their efforts to comply with all codes and ordinances pursuant to the following: new construction residential remodeling and additions.
The Code Enforcement Department shall assist persons interested in commercial and/or industrial development. This Department shall address new construction, additions, and renovation of commercial/industrial parcels.
The Code Enforcement Department considers it our duty and responsibility to assist all persons in their efforts to comply with building codes and local statutes in a courteous, efficient and professional manner.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Issuance of building, sign, plumbing and electrical permits.
- Review of plot plans and surveys pursuant to zoning compliance.
- Response to complaints.
- Assist applicants with regard to Zoning Board of Appeals review.
- Building plan review for new construction, additions, and remodeling.
- Issuance of Certificates of Compliance, Occupancy and Capacity.
- Issuance of zoning compliance letters and related correspondence.
- Registration of home improvement, electrical, plumbing and mechanical contractors.
- Landlord Rental & Property Owner Registration.
- The Code Enforcement Department welcomes your call should there be questions.
The most frequently asked question of the Code Enforcement Department:
Question: When is a building permit required?
Response: A building permit is required in most instances for all work exclusive of painting and minor cosmetic improvements.
Question: Is a building permit required if I am doing the work myself or if I am replacing something on my property?
Response : A building permit is still required whether you are doing the work yourself or having a licensed contractor do the work. Additionally if you are replacing an existing fence or structure on your property a permit is still required as the zoning and building code may have changed and placement that was once allowed may not be any longer.
Additionally, in your best interests you are advised to contact the Code Enforcement Department should you be contemplating improvements to your building/structure regarding permit requirements.
As of January 2018, a CE-200 State Exemption form MUST be completed online and submitted to the Code Enforcement Department in order to process any building permit. Contractors and building owners that carry NYS Disability and Compensation insurance are exempt from this requirement. The CE-200 Exemption form can be found HERE.
Instructions for the CE-200 exemption form can be found at the link below. We also have a paper application that can be filled out in our office and sent in to the State. Once the CE-200 is approved it must be brought in to apply for your permit.CE-200 Instructions
- Credit Card payment form for all permits, fees and applications
- Application for Home Improvement Registration Certificate
- Home Improvement Contractor Application Requirements
- Insurance Requirements
- Decks Requirements 2021
- Demolition Contractor Application
- Demolition Contractor Requirements
- Demolition Permit Procedure
- Electrical Permit
- Electrical Test Application
- Fence Requirements
- Detached Garage Requirements
- Fire Alarm Permit
- Landlord Rental and Property Owner Registration Application
- Owner Occupied Form
- Landlord Rental and Property Owner Renewal Notice Application
- Master Plumber Test Application
- Mechanical Contractors Application
- Mechanical Contractor Requirements
- Mechanical Permit
- New Home Construction Requirements for Building Permit
- Plan Review Process
- Permit Fee Schedule
- Plumbing Permit
- Procedure for Property Resubdivision
- Security and Fire Alarm Permit
- Residential Requirements for Additions
- Short Term Rental Requirements
- Swimming Pool Requirements
- Tow Permit
- City of Niagara Falls Zoning Ordinance
- Sign Ordinance
- 2022 Master Electricians List
- 2022 Master Plumber List
- 2022 Mechanical Contractor List
- 2022 Fire Protection List