City Clerk’s Office – Licenses/Permits

Marriage License and/or Marriage Ceremony

Phone Number: (716)286-4396

Where do you get one?
A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. The application for a license must be signed by both the bride and groom in the presence of the town or city clerk. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the bride or groom. This applies even if the representative has been given the Power of Attorney. Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the bride or groom cannot be substituted for their personal appearance. We issue marriage licenses Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 3:30pm. In New York State, marriage licenses can be issued to same-sex couples.

Is there a waiting period?
Yes. Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license was issued.

How long is the license valid?
A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued.

How much does it cost?
If the marriage license is issued by a town or city clerk in New York State outside of New York City, it costs $40. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent by the issuing clerk to the applicants within 15 days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the marriage ceremony). It serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file. Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four weeks of the wedding should contact the town or city clerk who issued the license.

Is a premarital physical exam required?
No premarital examination or blood test is required to obtain a marriage license in New York State.

What are the age and consent requirements for minors?

  • If either applicant is under 14 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued.
  • If either applicant is 14 or 15 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents and a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.
  • If either applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents.
  • If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consents are required.
  • One parent alone may consent to a minor’s marriage if:
  1. The other parent has been missing for one year preceding the application;
  2. The parents are divorced and the consenting parent was given sole custody of the child when the divorce decree was awarded;
  3. The other parent has been judged incompetent; or the other parent is deceased.
  4. Parents, guardians or other people consenting to the marriage of a minor must personally appear and acknowledge or execute their consent before the town or city clerk or some other authorized official. If the notarized affidavit is made before an official outside of the State of New York, it must be accompanied by a certificate of authentication when the consent is filed in New York State.

Proof of Age and Identity

  • A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting to the issuing clerk:

One of the following age related documents:

  1. Birth Certificate
  2. Baptismal Record
  3. Naturalization Record
  4. Census Record

And one of the following identity related documents:

  1. Driver’s License
  2. Passport
  3. Employment Picture ID
  4. Immigration Record

Familial Restrictions
A marriage may not take place in New York State between an ancestor and descendant, a brother and sister (full or half blood), an uncle and niece or an aunt and nephew, regardless of whether or not these persons are legitimate or illegitimate offspring.

Previous Marriages
Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A certified copy of the last Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage is required by the clerk issuing the marriage license. A Certified copy of the Death Certificate if the Marriage ended in Death is required.

Surname Options
Every person has the right to adopt any name by which he or she wishes to be known simply by using that name consistently and without intent to defraud. A person’s last name (surname) does not automatically change upon marriage, and neither party to the marriage is required to change his or her last name. The bride and groom need not take the same last name.

One or both parties to a marriage may elect to change the surname by which he or she wishes to be known after the marriage by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license. The new name must consist of one of the following options:

  • the surname of the other spouse;
  • any former surname of either spouse;
  • a name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the premarriage surname or any former surname of each spouse;
  • a combination name separated by a hyphen, provided that each part of such combination surname is the premarriage surname, or any former surname, of each of the spouses.

The use of this option will provide a record of your change of name. The marriage certificate, containing the new name, if any, is proof that the use of the new name, or the retention of the former name, is lawful. The local Social Security Administration office should be contacted so that its records and your social security identification card reflect the name change. There is no charge for this service.

Whether you decide to use or not use this option at the time of your marriage license application, you still have the right to adopt a different name through usage at some future date. However, your marriage license cannot be changed to record a surname you decide to use after your marriage.

Where can a marriage take place?
A New York State marriage license may be used within New York State only. Please note that if you go out of New York State to be married, your New York State marriage license will not be filed in New York State.

What about the ceremony?
There is no particular form or ceremony required except that the parties must state in the presence of an authorized member of the clergy or public official and at least one other witness that they take each other as husband and wife. There is no minimum age for a witness. However, in selecting a witness, choose at least one person who you feel would be competent to testify in a court proceeding as to what he or she witnessed.

Who can perform a marriage ceremony?
To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

  • a marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common council. Marriage Officers are available in the City Clerk’s Office. Civil Ceremonies can be conducted by our Marriage Officers either during the day, after work or on the weekend. They will work with the couple’s schedule to make this an enjoyable memory. Ceremonies can also be performed at the Horseshoe Falls, weather permitting. Call (716)286-4390 for more information.
  • the mayor of a city or village;
  • the city clerk or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants;
  • a justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the NYS Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the NYS Supreme Court, the NYS Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record;
  • a village, town or county justice;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;
  • a member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;
  • other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

The person performing the ceremony must be registered with the City of New York in order to perform a ceremony within the New York City limits. The officiant does not have to be a resident of New York State. Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.

Handicap Permit

Phone Number: (716)286-4300

Original Applications can be made in person:

  1. NYS Driver’s License with current address
  2. NYS Non Driver’s ID with current address
  3. Current piece of mail with current address listed

Renewal Procedure:
Temporary Permit (Red):

  • They have a maximum duration of 6 months
  • Once your permit expires an Original Application must be submitted again.

Permanent Permit (Blue):

  • Bring your Permit with Proof of Residency to the issuing Municipality during the Month that it expires.
  • You ARE NOT required to go to your Doctor to validate your Disability.

Dog License

Phone Number: (716)286-4391

In New York State you are required to obtain a Dog License before your dog reaches 4 Months of age. There is an Annual License. Fees range from $0.00 to $25.50.

Application Process is as follows:

  1. Make application in person with the Municipality in which you reside
  2. You must bring with you proof that your dog has been vaccinated for rabies
  3. If your dog is spayed or neutered we will need to see proof of that as well
  4. Discounts are given to Senior Citizens over 65 years of age (Proof of age is required)
  5. Payments can be made by cash, check or money order

Niagara County “FREE RABIES” Immunization Clinics 2016 () Please note: City Clerk Staff will be available to issue Dog Licenses on Saturday, June 11th 2016 at the Site Location.

Renewal Procedures are as follows:

Your Dog License Renewal can be processed in person or by mail.

  1. Follow directions on your Renewal Application
  2. Bring or Mail proof of Rabies Vaccination
  3. Bring or Mail proof of Spayed or Neutered Dogs
  4. Bring or Mail proof of owners age (if over 65 years old)
  5. Payment can be made by cash, check or money order
  6. Do NOT send cash through the mail
  7. Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope when done by mail



Street Vendors

For individuals wishing to sell goods from a City public way.

Requirements at time of application:

  1. Refer to Vendors and Peddlers Ordinance (Click Here)
  2. Complete Application ()
Niagara Falls
Translate »