Once you have obtained your marriage license, the next step is to have a Marriage Ceremony. Niagara Falls is a legendary place for marriages. The office of the City Clerk is dedicated to offering those who wish to marry in Niagara Falls a truly elegant experience.
Who can perform a Marriage Ceremony
To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law.
- A marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common Council. Marriage Officers are available in the City Clerk’s Office.
- The Mayor of a city or village
- The city clerk or one of the deputy city clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants.
- Niagara Falls City Court Judges
- A justice or judge of the following courts: The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern or Western Districts of New York, the New York State Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the NYS Supreme Court, the New York State Supreme Court. The Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York and other Courts of record.
- A village, town or county justice
- A member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body.
- A member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body buy who has been chosen by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;
- Other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.
- Ship captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.
Marriage Ceremony in the Office of the City Clerk of Niagara Falls, NY City Hall, 745 Main St. Niagara Falls, NY 14302
- Civil ceremonies are conducted by our Marriage Officers during the day, after work or on the weekends. The Clerk’s Office will work with the couples schedule to make this a wonderful memory. Ceremonies are performed in the Council Chambers.
- You must call for an appointment to have your ceremony at City Hall. You may call to schedule the ceremony during regular business hours Mon-Fri from 8am-4pm. To schedule a ceremony please call (716) 286-4392 or 286-4393.
- You and your prospective spouse must arrive together with the same proper identification you brought when you obtained your Marriage License.
- The fee to perform a Marriage Ceremony is $100.00. Payment can be made by cash or Credit card.
Marriage Ceremony Outside the City Clerk’s Office
- You may arrange a civil or religious Marriage Ceremony outside of our offices in any location you wish within the State of New York.
- Your private Ceremony must be conducted by a Marriage Officiant who is eligible to perform Marriage Ceremonies under New York State Law
- At the conclusion of the Marriage Ceremony, the Marriage Officiant, the couple and the witness are required to sign the Marriage License.
- The Marriage Officiant must return the Marriage License to the office where the Marriage License was obtained within five business days.
Marriage Ceremony at the Falls
- Thousands of couples have chosen to have their marriage ceremony with the majesty of Niagara Falls in the background. If you choose to marry at the Falls you may;
- Request a marriage officer from the Office of the Niagara Falls City Clerk. The officiant will meet you at the falls at the pre-designated time to perform the ceremony.