Unit Phone Number: 716.286.4568
The Youth Aid Division’s purpose is to investigate all crime committed by persons under the age of 16 years old. Detectives assigned to the division have special training pertaining to Family Court Law and all additional requirements involved in the investigation of juvenile crime and detention of juvenile suspects. The division members include Detectives and School Resource Officers (SRO) who take a proactive approach to help alleviate some of the barriers between the Police and the youth of our community. This includes interacting with the various social and community agencies which are also charged with ministering to the needs of our youth and working with the youth and their families toward the ultimate goal of providing a safe community along with placing our young citizens on a path toward becoming productive members of our society.
Activities of the Youth Aid Division:
- Criminal Investigation of Crimes believed to be committed by persons under the age of sixteen.
- Investigation of gang activity
- Investigation of child abuse and youth involved sex crimes
- Investigation of missing and runaway youth
- Interviews for referral to diversion programs such as Niagara Falls Youth Court
- Work with community intervention groups to curb juvenile delinquency
- Assist the Niagara Falls School District with security and truancy problems
- Instruction of Gang Resistance Education And Training (G.R.E.A.T.)